Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I am who I am .

OK this has to be written ...its been a couple of days but the event is still bothering me...and it is an oft occuring thing so I guess it has to be said... a couple of days back I went out with a couple of people ... 1 is a close friend and the other 2 are people i have met once earlier. It started off as a pleasant enough evening....and then when it came to ordering our drinks I asked for a fresh lime soda ..there were raised eyebrows and you DONT DRINK ?????  I said no.... but felt odd. then ofcourse - you dont smoke either ....oh what a nun u r , how boring.... and so on and so forth..and  i felt a bit defensive , had to explain -no u know i am running, training for a marathon so ...avoiding all that ...
 later when I came home I was quite irritated and it got me thinking ... I know i will sound like my Mom but at the risk of sounding old and dated - When I was in college915-16 yrs ago),women who smoked and drank were scandalous ,rebellious and also 'easy' - but look where we are today - If you DONT drink and smoke u r considered boring !!i dont condone EITHER stand btw - i dont htink people should be judged for their habits /appearances but come to think of it we are such a judgemental society and also what a 360 deg turn those judgements have taken! and then why should I or ANYONE for that matter have to explain their choices in life to anyone else ? I just dont get it - and look at me - I have to justify why i dont smoke and drink - errr. these are unhealthy habits and I have to explain why i dont indulge in them -LOL , that is ironical :-)
Anyway -  i decided a couple of things for myself - I love running , I have been running now for 4 years and to be honest this has been my BEST YEAR so far... I am not a natural runner and its been a struggle for me to really take to this sport but this year i am feeling good about the way its going and i am really really enjoying it.Having said that _ i am not one of those evolved runners who can sleep at any time after a night of drinking and still get up and run...when i get to that stage i will be very happy till then i need to prioritise my running . and what does that mean for me - Fri,Sat & Sun are my long run days - i do 10 K everyday . To be able to do that i need to eat simple, sleep well, not drink or smoke and get up early . So Thurs,Fri & Sat I will NOT go out in the evening. Will I make an exception - YES for a friends birthday /a big party I will but lets just go out and drink - no way... Maybe I am selfish but I dont judge you for what you want to do on a Friday night so please dont judge me. Going to bed early,with a cup of hot milk and a book does not stereotype me as boring or a nun just like partying till dawn and drinking yourself under the table does not tag you as modern and uber cool. These are preferences and choices that we make about how to spend our evening and are not the full manifestations of who we are as people !
And YES - I DONT smoke and I DONT Drink - and I DONT NEED TO EXPLAIN WHY !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment